So my wife and I just took a trip to Washington, DC for the week and we took our 3 month old, Miles, with us. It was definitely a daunting notion to travel with a baby but it ended up working out really well. Thought I’d share some of my tips & observations.
- Give yourself extra time. Get to the airport an extra hour before you usually would.
- We got a structured baby carrier and used that to carry the baby through security and on to the airplane. It worked really well.
- If you can time feedings, time it so the baby is going to sleep for as much of the flight as possible.
- If the kid is going to be awake, feed him or put a binky in his mouth during take off and landing to prevent ear popping.
- Much like a roll away bed, lots of hotels will provide you with a crib for your room.
- Unlike at home, the crib and the bed were in the same room at the hotel. So we used white noise to help give is cover as we moved about a room.
- When putting a car seat for the kid into the rental car, it felt more secure to lock it in with a seat belt than the actual car seat base. So bringing the car seat base wasn’t an issue.
What tips would you give?